Returning a Lost Pet
Here are a few steps you can take to help return a lost pet to it's owners:
- If the dog is wearing a current Maricopa County tag, call 602-506-PETS (7387) and follow the prompts to retrieve the owner's phone number.
- If the dog or cat is wearing any other type of ID, attempt to contact the owner using the information on the ID.
- If you plan to keep the found dog or cat at your home for a few days, please post a flyer on our Interactive Mapping Tool. This will allow the owner to contact you should they find you have their pet.
- The animal can be scanned for a microchip by a local veterinarian or shelter (call the place you desire to take them to ensure that they have scanning capability).
- Post fliers in the neighborhood where you found the animal.
- Post the found animal on Pet Harbor, Lost Dogs Arizona Facebook page, and/or Straydar Facebook page, etc.
- If you can safely contain the dog, call us and we will pick up from your location. You can contact MCACC at 602-506-PETS (7387) for dog pick up. Or you can complete a stray dog report online. We cannot pick up cats.
- Take the dog or cat to one of our shelters. Please visit our Services and Fees page for applicable fees.