County Road Abandonment
- Once a road abandonment is initiated a routing package is sent out to various departments for a technical review.
- Simultaneously the property involved in the abandonment gets posted with an abandonment notice sign to give the neighboring public an opportunity to supply any feedback.
- If there are no objections by review or feedback, then a request is made to be put on the agenda of the next scheduled Board of Supervisors formal meeting for final approval.
- Once approved by the board, a letter is sent to the applicant confirming the abandonment along with the recording information of the official resolution.
- The entire process takes approximately 2 to 3 months for completion.
A County Road Abandonment does not affect any utility easements that may exist on the property nor a Federal Patent Easement that may exist on the property.
A person who files a Roadway Abandonment Application must be the current owner or submit proof that the applicant is legally authorized to represent the owner.
Download and complete the Roadway Abandonment Application. Bring the completed application, all required documentation, and a check in the amount of $250 (payable to Maricopa County Department of Transportation) to 2901 W. Durango Street, Phoenix, AZ 85009.
View an example of the Abandonment Notice sign that is used for posting in the right-of-way in question.