The Maricopa County Department of Emergency Management (MCDEM) provides on-going planning to prevent and prepare for large-scale emergencies in Maricopa County. On a daily basis we:
- Assist in Continuity of Operations (COOP) and Continuity of Government (COG) for Maricopa County and its cities, towns and fire districts.
- Conduct training, drills and exercises for natural, man-made, and technological threats and hazards.
- Coordinate off-site planning for the Palo Verde Nuclear Generating Station (PVNGS) in conjunction with the Arizona Department of Emergency and Military Affairs (DEMA).
- Develop and maintain Emergency Operations Plans (EOPs) and Emergency Response Plans (ERPs) for Maricopa County and its cities, towns and fire districts.
- Develop and maintain the Multi-Jurisdictional Hazard Mitigation Plan (MJHMP), a preventative plan to reduce the risk to people and property.
- Maintain and test communications and warning systems to ensure rapid and accurate notification of impending emergencies.
- Provide preparedness information to residents of Maricopa County via public outreach events and social media.
- Activate communications and warning systems to ensure rapid and accurate notification of impending emergencies.
- Assist our partners in recovery activities to restore the community.
- Coordinate resources and response personnel.
Planning and implementation requires the support and assistance of many partners, including other county departments, local jurisdictions, the private sector and volunteer agencies.